POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Mystery...Notes : Mystery...Notes Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:36:19 EDT (-0400)
  Mystery...Notes
From: Jim Charter
Date: 12 Aug 2003 21:19:52
Message: <3f399238$1@news.povray.org>
A mystery

Resurrecting the stylistic banalities of surrealist painting,
Michael Hunter takes a somewhat relaxed approach to the topic, playfully
reminding us of the last century's preoccupation with the
mysteries of the subconscious mind.

The picture demonstrates a good technical command of the
medium and takes advantage of the similarity between the tidy styles
of Magritte and Delvaux and the clean signature of a raytraced image.
In each case the "heightened" reality of the dreamworld is insinuated.

This sense of tidiness extends to the careful rationality of the
composition which contrasts with the irrational juxtapositions of the
content. All in all, a pleasing recreation of the surrealist idiom.

A study in scarlet

This scene patiently recalls the literary genre of mystery writing.
Taking the classic scene-of-the-crime as a hiding place for clues,
Stephan Ferrell imbeds a whole checklist of references to some classics
of the genre.  The rendering is  as satisfyingly stylized as is the
literary form.  The picture's reach never exceeds its grasp.

The blob tree

This image has a deja vue feel to it.  But I gotta admit, it made me laugh.

Mask

This image has a plastic brilliance whatever its relation to the topic.

Tzolkin

Majorie Graterol is a long time contributer to the IRTC and her pictures
always demonstrate a personal, thoughtful approach to the topic and an
idiomatic, painterly rendering style.  Here she brings to our attention
the amazing complexity of the Mayan calender in contrast to what we take
as primitive in their ancient culture.  Painstaking heightfield
recreations of the Maya Tzolkin are set among historic ruins, and actual
terrain, recreated with equal care.  At the focus of the composition is
a mysterious assemblage of forms which suggest the roundness of the
globe, and which mock this European 'discovery'.